In today’s corporate struggle to worship in a manner that has a spiritual worship.
Let us start with what a “spiritual” worship is.
God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
In order to have God in our heart and spirit we must be prepared for worship. This means, we can not go to worship and then get prepared. We have to arrive already prepared.
• Must prepare heart for worship—worship is not accidental
• Think carefully about what we are doing & saying—involves thoughts & intents of heart, not merely motions of the flesh
• Be sincere, genuine—not a pretense, a show
• Realize we are in a special sense in the presence of God, angels, & men
• God angered by irreverence
Spirit of Worship
• Reverence Means Awe and Humility (Habakkuk 2.20)
– Recognition of God’s greatness (Psalm 8.1, 4)
– Requires serious and sober mind
• Reverence Includes Joy and Thanksgiving, Not a Spirit Which is Dull and Dead
– Psalm 122.1-4; Colossians 3.16-17; Revelation 5.12-13
5 Characteristics of Worship
1. Worship with Aim – Romans 8:6; 12-13
2. Worship with Action – Philippians 2:10-11
3. Worship with Absolute – John 4:23-24
4. Worship with Attitude – Philippians 3:3
5. Worship with Authority – John 14:6; 2 Timothy 2:15
What does the word unauthorized mean?
Acts 20:28 The elders are to “take Heed” and see that order and reverence is taking place in worship
I Cor 14 – leaders are to see that things are done decently and in order
Malachi 1:6, 8, 10 Show proper reverence or shut the doors!
I Cor 4:6 Paul tells us to “not think beyond what is written.”
Deut 4:2 instructs us to neither add nor take away from God’s word
“in word or deed” refers to whether we are speaking or acting
Rev. 22:18 Add to/Take away from
Acts 4:7 “in the name of Jesus” means “by Jesus’ authority
I Sam 15:22 Says that we MUST have authority for everything we do
2 John 9 some had “transgressed and gone beyond the doctrine of Christ” as a result, they no longer had God as their father. We MUST do only what is authorized.
Often, our worship becomes “instant.” The PowerPoint projection has pictures of crosses, a crown of thorns, and other pictures that “help get our minds prepared.” This “instant” spirituality is not a “true” worship. If we need this type of prompting then we are not prepared. If we don’t prepare before worship, we cannot be properly prepared for worship.